Monday, December 29, 2008

Oh rice cooker, how I love you...

I managed to hold out on post-Christmas shopping for the entire weekend, but today I just had to give in. I had gift cards in my pocket, and a list of things that I wanted but hadn't gotten for Christmas.

I got a few little things, and some random necessities that I needed (contact solution, toilet paper... you know, that sorta stuff). But my ABSOLUTE favorite purchase -- my rice cooker :) I've always wanted a rice cooker, because I am a pretty big fan of rice. I also happen to have a fondness for kitchen appliances. Usually I just cook rice on the stove, but ever since I moved into the new apartment with the gas stove, cooking rice on the stovetop has been sort of a disaster.

After reading the instructions and seeing that it could also be used to 'steam vegetables and meats', I figured I would test it out. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I figured that, worst-case scenario, I could throw everything in the oven if it didn't work out. Well, I put the rice and water in the bottom, set the steamer basket on top, plopped in two thawed tilapia fillets and a handful of frozen veggies from the bag in the freezer, set the lid on, and wandered back to my room. I had NO clue how long it would take, but it was supposed to automatically switch from "cook" to "warm" when it was done. Out of pure anticipation I think I went out to the kitchen to check every 5 minutes or so, but after about 25 minutes, the light had switched to cook. I desperately wanted to take off the lid and look at my food, but I waited the extra 5 minutes the instructions said.

Well, 5 minutes was up, and off came the lid. As I said before, I wasn't sure what to expect, but boy was I surprised! My fish and veggies were perfectly steamed, and the rice was white and fluffy.



Only one dirty pan, 25 minutes, and I didn't have to sit there watching anything... Perfect! Now I am on a quest to try out all of the recipes that I have found for rice cookers. If you have any good ones, feel free to share!

No comments: