Sunday, June 13, 2010

Go with the flow

Last night I headed down to a local coffee shop (the Coffee Hag - if you're ever in the Mankato area, definitely stop by!) to watch a few local musicians (Betty and Ocho) perform. According to facebook a few of my friends would be there, so my initial plan was to just head down and figure I would run in to someone. As luck would have it one of my dear friends Hannah hit me up on Facebook chat asking if we could go together as a date, and we agreed to meet up a little before the show started.
The Hag was mostly empty as we first sat down, but others began to trickle in, including a few of the friends I had expected to see. We got invited to stop by the after party, which was going to include pina coladas and dancing to an 80's cover band. Since it was going to be 10 before the show was over, and I needed to be up at 6:30 for work, my initial thought was no, but then I decided "why not?" Worst-case scenario I would end up totally hungover and dragging myself to work at 6:30 am feeling completely like shit and barely conscious, but since I only work for an hour or so, it would be THAT big of a deal. Best-case scenario I'd have a great time, meet some new people, and get to listen to a new band.
I'm certainly glad I went, because I fully enjoyed the pina coladas, some awesome guacamole, and dancing in the basement to It Came From the 80's. I met some new people, had a fun time with friends, and went home at 12:30, sweaty from dancing in the hot basement, but in a great mood.

The moral of the story? When you have an opportunity, take it. Usually the worst-case scenario isn't even that bad, and what are the odds of that WORST happening anyway?

No comments: