Saturday, January 3, 2009

My first try...

Last night when I was at Hobby Lobby grabbing a few things I needed for some keychains that I am working on for my shop, I decided I might as well start on one of the things on my "To-Do" list of hobbies to pick up this year. So I wandered around the aisles until I found the felt -- they were 5 for $1, so I grabbed 10 different colors and added them to my cart.

When I got home I realized I had absolutely NO CLUE how to sew felt... I mean, I have hand-sewn miscellaneous other things before, but never felt. So after a little bit of searching, I came upon this futuregirl.com craft blog tutorial, which helped me out and got me started.

First things first. What did I want to make? Originally I wanted to make a pin out of a little stuffed critter, but since I couldn't find my stuffing, I settled on making myself a little pouch. I need something to keep business cards and coupons organized in my purse anyway. I debated on colors a bit, but finally decided on brown because it's one of my favorites. I sorted through my embroidery floss to find a color that coordinated, then sat down with my scissors and started cutting.

A few hours, google searches, random breaks, and spontaneous thoughts later, I had myself a finished project:

Ok, so it doesn't look at that great. My least favorite part is the button hole, as I feel it looks like I did it whilst blindfolded... the buttons and such are all sort of random, but I just wanted to play around with and make it colorful. The back is still kinda boring, but I might add something later to practice a few different things. All you felt people out there, try not to make fun of me too much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not bad for your first time. I remember my first time, oh the horror, lol. Now try sewing felt with a machine and having it get all bunched in the foot all the way down into the bottom bobbin and having to use a seam ripper to cut it out. ugh lol. Can't wait to see what else you'll make, it gets easier as you go. Trust me. :o)

Brit said...

Thanks! Positive comments are always encouraging :)

futuregirl said...

I think it looks awesome for your first try! As you get more practice, your stitching will improve. Mine did. :) Glad my tutorial helped!