Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"Hump Day" featured seller - buffalonerdproject

It's Wednesday again folks, we've all survived to the middle of the week! So here we go again, another great Etsy seller, this one a nerd like me :)

Buffalo Nerd Project
"Science Geek By Day, Sewing Chick By Night"



When asked to tell a little about herself -- her life and history, how she chose her craft, what got her on to Etsy, and everything else exciting about life, this is what Lisa of buffalonerdproject said:

My name is Lisa. I grew up in Buffalo and moved downstate after I graduated with my Masters degree in molecular biology. I work in a biology lab as a technician during the day researching anything from autism to brain methylation patterns to congenital heart disease.... the list goes on and on! My two roommates are my cat, Angel Baby (I didn't name her) and my tarantula, Mr. Snuggles.

When I'm not at work or sewing like a fiend, I can most likely be found socializing, running, thrift shopping or scrapbooking. My scrapbook is like a huge book of collages (it's messier than a lot of the scrapbooks I've seen, no cute little cardboard cutouts or clean edges, lots of magazine tearings and clashing color motifs), and helps me to always remember the good times. :)

I signed up to Etsy when a coworker of mine told me about it. I've always been really into sewing but I never knew of a place where I could market my passion. The first time that I made a bag out of an old pair of pants that I had lying around my house, my coworker was like "you should sell those." Up until then I made things for myself or for Christmas presents (I had one winter where I made literally a dozen and a half patchwork scarves), but the idea of being able to make things without a specific recipient in mind was super appealing. I love to sew, but before Etsy, I wasn't exactly sure what I'd do with sixteen purses. Does one person need sixteen purses?

As far as choosing my craft, I usually start out making something I need, use it for awhile, and if I like how it came out and find it functional, I make more to sell. This has been the pattern with everything in my shop. I'm trying to integrate science into things because I love it so much, it's what I spend most of my day doing, and I think it puts a relatively unique spin on things. Plus, with the new Mad Scientists of Etsy team, I'm really getting fueled by other science-minded crafty nerds. GO NERDS! :)

If you stop to take a look at Lisa's shop, you can see how much her science nerd side has influenced her crafting. From aprons to ipod cozies, purses to scarves, buffalonerdproject has a variety of fun, creative, and geeky creations!

Check out this awesomely nerdy "Packing Heat in the Kitchen" apron:
In the item description Lisa claims that is apron mixes "mad kitchen skills with experimental flair!" I would say that this apron would make a great addition to any science nerd's kitchen!

Looking for a scarf? I know spring and warm weather are approaching here in the midwestern United States, but it's cold somewhere! If you're in one of those areas, or if you just like wearing scarves and looking cool, buffalonerdproject has some pretty nifty ones, like this fun black and white one:


Are you a science geek? Do you have science geek friends that love cooking? Take a look at all of the items in this wonderful seller's shop and show your support for nerds!

__________
*interested in being featured? email me or comment here with your shop name and email address and I will check you out!

No comments: